One of the tastiest salt water fish, Speckled Trout is one of the prized game fish all over the state of Florida. This toothy predator can grow up to “gator trout” status, well over 20 inches. With just a few ingredients, speckled trout can be cooked right on the grill while you’re out cruising or camping for the day by the water.
Our Favorite Recipe for Grilling Speckled Trout
- 4 Speckled trout filets (fresh, skin on or off)
- Olive oil
- Your favorite seasoning
- Aluminum foil
- Melted butter (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Rub each filet with olive oil, and arrange skin side down in a single layer on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle the fish with your choice of seasoning. We recommend a dried herb blend with salt & pepper, garlic, or creole seasoning.
- When your grill is hot and ready, place the fish on the grill (with the foil in between).
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, and baste with butter (option). Cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook – the fish will cook very quickly on the grill. You’ll know it’s done when it flakes easily with a fork.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice on top, and serve. Enjoy!